The SHRM Essentials® of HR Management is an introductory course offering a complete overview of human resource roles and responsibilities. If you are just starting out in the profession, or are looking for an effective way to boost your employee management skills, this is the program for you!
This course covers real-life HR issues and current principles of HR management, employment law, recruitment and selection, compensation, employee development, performance management and more. The SHRM Essentials of HR Management provides invaluable knowledge to help reduce potentially costly lawsuits and effectively handle daily HR challenges.
~ Human Resource Management
- Define human resource management
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of human resource professionals
- Explain and strengthen the alignment between strategic planning and HR planning
~ Employment Law
- Federal EEO legislation
- The EEOC and affirmative action
- Compensation legislation
- Other federal employment laws
- Employee handbooks
~ Recruitment and Selection
- Evaluate recruiting methods and their effectiveness
- Analyze and evaluate job candidates
- Recognize biases in the interview process and how to eliminate them
- Explain the selection process and identify key selection tools
~ Compensation and Benefits
- Explain the basic elements of a total compensation system
- Understand the role of base pay, incentives and differentials in employee compensation
- Explain the four key steps of the compensation system design process
- Provide an overview of benefits commonly offered by Employers
~ Employee Development
- Understand the importance of learning styles and adult learning principles in development training
- Explain the purposes of orientation, onboarding, training and development
- Identify on-the-job and off-the-job training strategies
- Identify key professional development tools
- Explain the four levels of evaluation
~ Performance Management
- Describe the performance evaluation process and systems
- Identify common evaluation errors
- Conduct effective disciplinary meetings
- Identify legal issues to consider during employee terminations
Participants in this program will:
- Build their understanding of HR practices.
- Apply newly learned HR knowledge.
- Create a stronger alignment between their organizational and HR goals.
- Develop their career if they are not yet eligible or ready for the PHR/SPHR exam.
- New or junior HR practitioners who need to increase their knowledge base.
- Nontraditional HR staff members that perform HR as part of their job.
- Experienced HR practitioners looking for a refresher of newly enacted policies and legal compliance.
- New or experienced people managers interested in learning more about efficient and capable employee-management skills.
- International HR practitioners wishing to increase their knowledge of fundamental U.S. HR practices.
Program Dates / Locations
While this course is not scheduled at this time, any of the executive education programs offered by the Hudson Center of Entrepreneurship and Executive Education (HCEEE) can be delivered to your organization either in our classroom or at your location. Please contact us for more information.
Fee of $850 includes tuition, instructional materials, SHRM Essentials materials and lunch.
Carol K. Flynn, MA, SPHR
Ms. Flynn has more than 20 years of human resource management experience in various industries such as banking, education, technology, financial services, government, hospitality, manufacturing, media, and retail. Carol has a unique blend of private and public sector in-house human resource management expertise with consulting experience for large and small client organizations. She is past president of the Greater Miami Society for Human Resources Management and has served on the HR Florida State Council as legislative affairs chair. Carol has a Masters in Industrial and Organizational Psychology.
Roslyn Vargas, MS
Mrs. Vargas has many years of experience in management, many of those years being in the field of Human Resource Management, with an extensive background in training and development. Roslyn's specializations include Human Resource Management, Performance Management and Leadership Development.
Mrs. Vargas is currently an adjunct professor at the Wayne Huizenga College of Business and Entrepreneurship at Nova Southeastern University. Roslyn has been an HR practitioner in all facets of human resources at levels ranging from Generalist up to Executive and has now moved towards the consulting arena.
Her educational background includes a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology and a Master of Science degree in Human Resource Management. In addition to completing all coursework, examinations, and publication requirements and working on her dissertation for a Doctorate degree in Business Administration with a specialization in Human Resource Management.
Comments From Past Participants
"It is a great foundation."
Wilma Patricia Osorio
Using core programs, we can customize the material to fit your corporate training needs. With our extensive resources and program facilitators, we will design a program that is tailored to fit your specified objectives and requirements.
Substitution, Cancellation, Fee and Transfer Policies
We realize that occasionally you need to cancel your registration. You can substitute another individual in your place at any time prior to the first day of a program.
If you wish to receive a credit toward a future program: we will allow you to transfer you registration to a future date of the same program you are enrolled in currently, provided we receive written notice two weeks prior to the start date of the class you are currently registered in. You are permitted to re-register only one time.
If you wish to receive a refund: written cancellations received 30 calendar days before a program begins will be issued a full refund, less a $150.00 processing fee; written cancellations received 6 to 29 calendar days prior to the start of a program will get 50 percent of the registration fee refunded. We apologize but we cannot provide a refund if we receive your written cancellation in five or fewer business days prior to the start of the program.
In the event of non-payment, the responsibility for any fees incurred in collecting the payment is the responsibility of the customer.
Fees and dates are subject to change without notice.
For additional program information, please contact us at:
Hudson Center of Entrepreneurship and Executive Education
H. Wayne Huizenga College of Business and Entrepreneurship
Nova Southeastern University
3301 College Avenue, Carl DeSantis Building, Suite 2088
Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FL 33314
Toll Free: 800.672.7223
, ext. 25161
Want more information about this program or any of our course offerings? Fill out the form below and an executive education enrollment counselor will respond to your message within the next 24-48 hours. Thank you for your interest in the executive education programs at NSU's Huizenga College of Business!
Your message was sent. We will contact you within 24-48 hours!
There was a problem sending your message, please refresh the page and try again.