The SHRM Essentials® of HR Management is an introductory course offering a complete overview of human resource roles and responsibilities. If you are just starting out in the profession, or are looking for an effective way to boost your employee management skills, this is the program for you!
This course covers real-life HR issues and current principles of HR management, employment law, recruitment and selection, compensation, employee development, performance management and more. The SHRM Essentials of HR Management provides invaluable knowledge to help reduce potentially costly lawsuits and effectively handle daily HR challenges.
~ Human Resource Management
- Define human resource management
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of human resource professionals
- Explain and strengthen the alignment between strategic planning and HR planning
~ Employment Law
- Federal EEO legislation
- The EEOC and affirmative action
- Compensation legislation
- Other federal employment laws
- Employee handbooks
~ Recruitment and Selection
- Evaluate recruiting methods and their effectiveness
- Analyze and evaluate job candidates
- Recognize biases in the interview process and how to eliminate them
- Explain the selection process and identify key selection tools
~ Compensation and Benefits
- Explain the basic elements of a total compensation system
- Understand the role of base pay, incentives and differentials in employee compensation
- Explain the four key steps of the compensation system design process
- Provide an overview of benefits commonly offered by Employers
~ Employee Development
- Understand the importance of learning styles and adult learning principles in development training
- Explain the purposes of orientation, onboarding, training and development
- Identify on-the-job and off-the-job training strategies
- Identify key professional development tools
- Explain the four levels of evaluation
~ Performance Management
- Describe the performance evaluation process and systems
- Identify common evaluation errors
- Conduct effective disciplinary meetings
- Identify legal issues to consider during employee terminations
Participants in this program will:
- Build their understanding of HR practices.
- Apply newly learned HR knowledge.
- Create a stronger alignment between their organizational and HR goals.
- Develop their career if they are not yet eligible or ready for the PHR/SPHR exam.
- New or junior HR practitioners who need to increase their knowledge base.
- Nontraditional HR staff members that perform HR as part of their job.
- Experienced HR practitioners looking for a refresher of newly enacted policies and legal compliance.
- New or experienced people managers interested in learning more about efficient and capable employee-management skills.
- International HR practitioners wishing to increase their knowledge of fundamental U.S. HR practices.
Any of the executive education programs offered by the Hudson Center of Entrepreneurship and Executive Education (HCEEE) can be delivered to your organization either at your location or in our classroom. Please contact us for more information.
Program fee varies based on the size of your group and includes tuition, instructional materials and lunch. Please contact us for more information.
Carol K. Flynn, MA, SPHR
Ms. Flynn has more than 20 years of human resource management experience in various industries such as banking, education, technology, financial services, government, hospitality, manufacturing, media, and retail. Carol has a unique blend of private and public sector in-house human resource management expertise with consulting experience for large and small client organizations. She is past president of the Greater Miami Society for Human Resources Management and has served on the HR Florida State Council as legislative affairs chair. Carol has a Masters in Industrial and Organizational Psychology.
Roslyn Vargas, MS
Mrs. Vargas has many years of experience in management, many of those years being in the field of Human Resource Management, with an extensive background in training and development. Roslyn's specializations include Human Resource Management, Performance Management and Leadership Development.
Mrs. Vargas is currently an adjunct professor at the Wayne Huizenga College of Business and Entrepreneurship at Nova Southeastern University. Roslyn has been an HR practitioner in all facets of human resources at levels ranging from Generalist up to Executive and has now moved towards the consulting arena.
Her educational background includes a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology and a Master of Science degree in Human Resource Management. In addition to completing all coursework, examinations, and publication requirements and working on her dissertation for a Doctorate degree in Business Administration with a specialization in Human Resource Management.
Comments From Past Participants
"It is a great foundation."
Wilma Patricia Osorio
Using core programs, we can customize the material to fit your corporate training needs. With our extensive resources and program facilitators, we will design a program that is tailored to fit your specified objectives and requirements.
For additional program information, please contact us at:
Hudson Center of Entrepreneurship and Executive Education
H. Wayne Huizenga College of Business and Entrepreneurship
Nova Southeastern University
3301 College Avenue, Carl DeSantis Building, Suite 2088
Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FL 33314
Toll Free: 800.672.7223
, ext. 25161
Want more information about this program or any of our course offerings? Fill out the form below and an executive education enrollment counselor will respond to your message within the next 24-48 hours. Thank you for your interest in the executive education programs from NSU's Huizenga College of Business!